From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 13:18:03 -0500
From: "sue" :Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2000 4:35 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Network card and irq

> Computer #1
> Dell
> Intel 800
> 256 Ram
> OS:   Win98SE
> IRQ for Network card:    10
> IDENTIFICATION:
> Computer Name:   Dell
> Workgroup:         Home
>

> Computer #2
> American Micro
> AMD 166
> 96 Ram
> OS:  Win98
> IRQ for Network card:    10
> IDENTIFICATION:
> Computer Name:    Amd
> Workgroup:      Home
>
> Network is set up with Linksys Network Starter Kit...two network cards,
two
> cables and a hub.
>
> Adapters and Protocols are Identical on both machines:  (Set up from the
> info from Linksys Webpage for Win98)
>
> Microsoft  Family Login
> Client For Microsoft Networks
> Client for NetWare Networks
> Dial Up Adapter
> Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
> IPX/SPX=compatible Protocol ->Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
> NetBEUI ->Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
> TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
> File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
>
> Primary Network Logon:  Windows Logon    (From the Linksys  Webpage for
Win98)

>          If I use any other logon I cannot see the network at all.
>          Protocols are bound to only one adapter.
>                  (TCP/IP is needed for my internet connection)
>          There are no duplicate protocols.
>          File sharing is set up as share-level.
>          Drives are shared with full access...no passwords
>
>          No IP Addresses
>          No Subnet mask
>          No Default Gateway
>          (There is nothing in the instructions about IP, Subnet or Default
> Gateway)
>
>          I sign on to each computer with a different nick and different
> password.
>
> If you need more info, I'll be glad to supply it but I can't think of
> anything else at this point.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sue Na

Sue,

Unless you are connecting to a Netware network or are playing games over the
LAN, you really don't need to have Client for Netware or IPX/SPX installed.
Also if both PC's are going to share internet access you will need to bind
TCP/IP to the dial-up adapter too.  I went to the Linksys site to see why
they had you set up the network without NetBEUI.  Actually you are also
supposed to have NetBEUI installed also.  I would suggest going to the
NOSPIN site on setting up your network, uninstall Client for Netware is you
are not connecting to a Netware server and unistall IPX/SPX  unless you are
playing games on a LAN.  NetBEUI is the easiest protocol and will well for
your small network.   If you are planning on having both computers use the
internet connection through one machine you will need to configure the IP
address, subnet mask and deafult gateway unless you use a Product which will
do this for you.  I use Sygate because I am able to remotely dial uo my
connection and stop or start the service from my computer without having to
go to my gateway computer which is located in a different part of the house.
It is also exteremly easy for beginners in networking.

To set up your network go to this page:
http://nospin.com/pc/network/troubleshooting.html
Bob Wright has a very good tutorial with pictures to show how each window
should look.

For Internet connection sharing go here:
http://nospin.com/pc/network/sharing_internet_connection.html

Once you set your network up according to Bob Wright's instructions you
should have no trouble connecting to either computer.

Hope this helps,

Mary Wolden

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions