From:
GeorgeMary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 16:47:17 -0700
Thanks Ben and Rick for the suggestions.   I would like to say that XP SP1
has been on this machine before, so I think the BIOS is OK, but it won't
install now.  Win 98se was on the machine when I did the upgrade, and it
went slick...even detected the ISA modem and installed drivers.  Due to a
botched linux (my fault) install, the partition got messed up and XP would
not boot.  I am trying to recover and the machine now has different memory,
HD, and cables, but the result is the same.  I have tried all the single
processor options in the initial APCI (F6, F5) screen.  Some files start to
copy, but usually about 5%, some file cannot copy and the retry also fails.
It is not usually the same file, but is has been on occasion, but the
repeaters vary, eg fonts, then qdvd.dll for example.  I am able to install
Win98 from the CD, copy it to disc, and also restore from a disc image(wish
I had imaged the XP!!!!)  In rereading Ben's note, maybe I should have just
pressed F5 instead of F6, F5.   I'll try that tomorrow when I get back to
the machine.

In the XP install, right at the beginning where it say press F6 to install
3rd party drivers, press F5 and you'll get a menu of what kind of system you
want to install.  You can avoid ACPI there and select the generic HAL.

Ben Moore