From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:37:09 -0500
I bought this USB scanner to use at home, but couldn't make it work.

I installed the driver (TWAIN) and launched Photoshop. Import the device.
Then Windows 98SE says something like Windows found a new hardware,
installing drivers for you. Then, it ask me to select a device and locate
the driver for it. I pointed it to the CD. It then says The driver is not
for the hardware you have. Then I have to cancel. From Device Manager, I
see a new question mark for unknown USB device. under others.

I have tried the following without success:
1) Delete the USB, and question-marked unknown device in Device Manager and
reboot. It went thru the same process I described above and failed.
2) Download a copy of the driver from Acer's web site and install it. Same
result. (It's the same version, and it uninstall the installed version first.)
3) Check my BIOS see if anything related to USB has been turned off, and
found none.
4) Called Acer tech support and was told there might be privilage setup
that prevented the registry info written to one section since I didn't have
anything in that area (image under LOCAL_MACHINE). I set up my system and I
didn't set up any special restriction on my machine. It's nice that Acer
has tech support with knowledgeable people available 24-hour each day
although he didn't solve my problem.

What else should I try before I return it (It's $30 after rebate, good deal!!)?

My system:
Celeron 300a overclocked to 450mhz
Abid BH6 motherboard
128MB PC100 memory