From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:08:53 -0400
Last week I submitted this and have not received any responses, so will try
again. I think that any experience with changing mouse "type" devices
(touch pads, special function mouse,) where special drivers were required
would apply to my basic questions.

Any experience?

I have just received a new scrolling mouse that requires installation of
their drivers using an install disk. Their instructions explicitly state
that old Win 95 mouse drivers must be removed before installing the new
drivers. I currently use a different brand/model scrolling mouse.

My system:
760EL ThinkPad laptop (Pentium 120)
48 meg memory
3 gig hard drive, partitioned 2 G - 1 G
Windows 95a
Using PS2 external mouse with integrated trackpoint disabled.

What sequence should I do things in order to have a functioning mouse while
deleting and reinstalling the new mouse and drivers? I am thinking of
something like:

1- Shutdown the computer.
2- Boot to Safe mode
3- Remove the Mouse from Device Manager
4- Shutdown the computer
5- Change the mouse to new mouse.
6- Reboot

***At this point, PNP will probably ask for new mouse driver disk. Right?
***To install the new drivers, instructions say to run a Setup program on
the provided disk. What should I load at this point..., standard mouse
driver or use provided disk and see if Windows can find the driver on the
disk?
***If I skip loading the driver will I have mouse functions until I can get
the driver loaded? ***

7- Run install program
8- Probably reboot.

Thanx for any info/experience...