From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:35:50 -0500
> Any known and tested methode to avoid the high temperature in IDE HDD such
> as Maxtor and Fujitsu?
> I know fujitsu IDE HDD are having troubles al aver the world.
> Any known hardware patch or heat sink or whatever?

        High speed PC Hard Drives get hot, that is an unfortunate fact of physics.
The main reason for the heat is keeping the disk spinning at 7200+ rpm, the
heat comes from two major sources: the motor and the bearing. Some
manufacturers sinmply use better hardware to reduce the amount of heat
generated, but the amount of heat a HD generates is dependant on it's
physical design, there is no such thing as a "patch" to "correct" this
problem. Most popular hard drive reviews contain stats on the operating
temperature of the drive.

        As for a heatsink there are hard drive mounts that have fans to keep the
drive cool.

        I'm wondering why you are concerned? Is there another component in your
system that is temperature sensitive? I've had some drives that got pretty
warm but they last just as long as cooler drives. Thanks, TTYL