From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 02:45:45 -0800
On 12 Sep 00, at 21:00, BMA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently we have around 8 machines running Internet through Wingate.
>
> I'd like to know if there is any speed gain (and how much) going from
> gateway software like WinGate, Sygate, Linux proxy server (Squid) etc. to
> router solution. And is it the same, performance wise,  using hardware
> router and software router (like IPRoute, FREESCO, Linux LRP etc).

  Internet connection speeds are typically much slower than LAN
speeds.  While the proxy may introduce a *delay*, I suspect that
throughput/bandwidth is probably not being limited by the proxy.

> And what would happen if we place a proxy server behind the router ? Does it
> improve internet access or hamper it instead ?

  A proxy in this position is often used as a *firewall*, being
selective about what it will and won't proxy.  Again, it may
introduce a slight delay but shouldn't be the limiting factor.