From:
Christopher Zguris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:05:17 -0700
At 02:50 PM 4/12/99 -0400, Darren K. Page wrote:
>I also use Wingate on my home network. I have been using it for just over 2
>years with my cable modem, without any problems at all. The only real catch
>for me was that I had to install two network cards in my server machine
>(actually it is a server/client) in order to get everything to work properly
>(the wingate faq also suggests to do it this way with cable modems). I am
>using win 98 on two machines, and one with Linux (one is also a dual boot
>with NT Server, which can use the connection just fine, but is not
>configured to run my network for now). Wingate works well as a proxy server,
>but it is not very secure. There is a whole bunch of articles in the wingate
>knowledge base about tightening up security with wingate. It is my

Another option is IPRoute, which can run (well) on anything from a 286 up.
Supposedly, on a dedicated (286-up) machine, it offers better security. I
have no experience with it, but you can check it out at:
http://www.litterbox.org/~hamors/documentation/iproute/

Christopher Zguris

[log in to unmask] / http://www.christopherzguris.com

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: