Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:54:04 +0000
Greetings David and list--

While I have no direct experience with a "reverse migration" from
Windows ME to 98SE, I have done a number of 'over the top'
installations of Windows 98SE. This presupposes that licensed
media are on hand. What I do is boot to a "command prompt
only" from the boot menu (accessible by either msconfig, editing
msdos.sys, or using the Ctrl[?] key while booting), then renaming
c:\windows\win.com to win.old. Once this has been done, Windows
98SE should install 'over itself'. Be alert to change the install folder
from Windows.000 to the original windows. This should force the
installation to replace the various .dll and .vxd files with those of
the earlier operating system. I am not certain if this will work with
a Windows ME installation, but may well be worth a try (after backing
up all important data first--docs, address book, e-mail folders, etc.).

HTH.

Paul A. Shippert
-----------------------------------
and I'm hovering like a fly
waiting for the windshield on the
freeway." Genesis
-----------------------------------

> My dad has a machine which currently has Windows ME installed on it. He's
> not happy with it, and misses some things (unspecified) that worked in 98SE
> but don't seem to in ME.
>
> He's asking me for tips on how to successfully migrate the machine back to
> 98SE. I've never had ME, so I've never needed to do that. Does anyone here
> have experience with this, that they could share?
>
> David Gillett
>
> The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering
> Mandrake Linux or Red Hat Linux CD sets along
> with the OpenOffice CD... at a great price!!!
> http://freepctech.com/goodies/promotions.shtml

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml