Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:37:38 -0600
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, patrick meyer wrote:

> The problem is with portable CD players. The portable will play some songs,
> not all, and not in any recognizable pattern. I've tried three different
> brands of portables (Sony, Panasonic and Citizen) and all balk at playing
> the ones I've burned. Sony out and out refuses to play those with a blue
> dye, the Panasonic and citizen will play some tracks but not all. The
> silver "dye" disks produces similar illogical results.

Pat,

I can't say whether this is the problem but in the November 98 issue of
Audio Media there is an article describing the quality of different cd
burners (or "cutters" as referred to in the article).  There are always
some errors when laying data down on cds, described as "block error rate"
and cds have layers of error correction built into them to help overcome
these errors.  The author of the article used a cd tester made by
StageTech to measure the block error rates before error correction and was
amazed at how high the error rates were when recorded with some models as
compared with others.

His point was that if the initial error rates were high enough, some lower
end cd players might add enough errors to the data during the playback
process that the error correction can't keep up and it would be
unplayable.

Again, I don't know if this is related to your problem but I was surprised
at how many errors were found with some cd burners.

John Pfankuch

                                  -----