From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 10:13:32 -0500
Not all power supplies are created equal, so simply choosing one on the
basis of its power rating may not be a satisfactory way of making sure it
will work well with an Athlon/Duron system.

I'd start by looking at AMD's own list of recommend power supplies.
http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_1039%5
e1053,00.html
(If the formatting of that url doesn't come through properly, starting from
AMD's home page, the information is under Technical Resources, System
Builder Information, and Athlon Configuration Information.)

My limited experience with building an Athlon system made use of Enermax
EG365P-VE (350w).  Notable features of this PS are that it has two fans, one
of which is temperature controlled, that the unit tends to be relatively
quiet, and that it comes with long power cables, which may or may not be an
advantage, depending on how far away your drives are from the PS in you
case.  Also, make sure the location of the PS in your case allows room for
the bottom fan on the PS (in some enclosures, you may need to remove the fan
grill on the bottom of the PS).

Hope this helps.

John