From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 10:10:53 -0700
Apparently your friend's mobo supports 66 and 100 Mhz memory, but not 133
Mhz.  If you're sure the 64 Mb RAM was 100 Mhz, instead of wasting anymore
time, just replace the 133 Mhz with 100 Mhz memory.  There are a lot of web
sites that sell memory very cheap, and some take used memory.  Unless your
friend is doing some graphics intensive stuff or running a lot of games, she
does not need 384 Mb of memory.  For most purposes 128 Mb is sufficient.
I've seen 128 Mb, 100 Mhz RAM for as low as $40 (I'll look for the web site
and post it if I find it, but you can do a search at www.google.com for
memory).  It would be pretty easy to sell the PC-133 memory.  If your
friend's machine is giving you an error message, just turning off the memory
check (which I don't know how to do) means you may not see it, but the
problem still exists.  At some point it may crash even if you're not seeing
the error message.  It would be a lot less stressful to just put in memory
that is compatible, and, compared to a crash, a lot cheaper.  If she wants
to sell the 133 Mhz memory you can e-mail me at:
[log in to unmask]  I'm sure other people on this list might be willing to
take it off her hands, and some may even have 100 Mhz memory to trade.

I tried out what you suggested and here are the
results:

I removed all three 128mb sticks and put in a
32mb
66mhz memory. There was no error message.
I substituted the 32mb memory with a 64mb stick
that I borrowed. Again there was no error
message.
The 32mb stick had 8 chips on each side. The 64mb
stick was marked 100mhz and had 8 chips on one
side and none on the other. The 128mb ram was
pc133 and had 8 chips on one side only as well.

I was unable to run the processor at different
speeds or test the ram with a firmware utility as
suggested coz I don't know how - you will have
guessed by now that I'm a newbie who's already in
way over her head.

Since the computer runs OK, would it be alright
to just turn off the memory check? If it's OK,
would someone please tell me how? I can't find
anything in the BIOS to do this. Thanks.

Cathy