From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:00:48 -0700
The determining factor is the motherboard. Your AT power supply doesn't
play a role in your Pentium Classic or MMX socket seven upgrade. However a
socket seven Pentium MMX requires a dual voltage mother board which you
probably do not have.If you wanted to move up to a Pentium II or above then
you would need a new case with ATX power supply..

I am guessing that your board is single voltage and designed to support a
socket seven Pentium Classic. The highest the single voltage board could
support was a Pentium Classic 200 however your particular board may only be
able to run a P120 or P133. You are probably running a 60 MHz BUS at 1.5
times frequency. Does your board support a 66 MHZ BUS and will it jumper to
3.5 X frequency = Pentium Classic 200.

Even if it will the price of a used Pentium Classic 200 will run you 75
dollars plus if you can find one in the auction sites. You can also buy a
third party upgrade CPU from Kingston or Evergreen based on AMD 400 K62
that has it's own voltage regulator and sets it's own clock frequency but
these are very expensive... $200 and above and don't work with all
motherboards. While they are a easy upgrade path, even when they work well
you don't really realize the full potential of the K62 chip.

Assuming you want to stay with most of your existing components then the
best bang for the buck upgrade you can make is a new motherboard like a
EPOX MVP3C2 for around $65 and a AMD K62 550 for around 90 dollars with a
64 meg DIMM of P 100 RAM  for around $75.

This upgrade would increase your CPU Wintune 2000 bench mark speed by a
factor of 10. This is a huge increase and isn't bad for a $230 investment.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>If I were to upgrade the processor that came with a Dell Pentium
>P-90,  what is the fastest processor that I could use with the original
>motherboard and power supply?  P-133MHZ-P-166MHZ?
>
>What is the determing factor, the power supply or the motherboard?
>John

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html