From:
John Pinter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 18:27:15 -0400
(Finger check on my first attempt to post this - sorry.)
The DVDRAM device on my HP laptop, running Windows XP Pro, was giving me fits and I sought advice from HP Support to resolve its intermittent failures to detect CDs, or failures to slide open. The HP agent recommended uninstalling the device driver (in Device Manager), rebooting and letting detection reinstall it. This action seemed to fail as it presented the following error message follows:

   Cannot install this Hardware
   There was a problem installing---
	  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N
   An error occurred during the installation of the device
   Access is denied.

Multiple attempts at reinstalling resulted in presentation of the same message. HP's knowledge base offers no guidance.

The odd discovery I made after a few days is that the DVDRAM is working just fine now, reading music CDs and movie DVDs, but every time I reboot the above message is presented. I click Finish, ignoring the error and suffer no other problems. But I would certainly like to find out what is going on here, before the drive goes West again. I suspect corruption in the registry, but where to start is a bit of a mystery. HP's suggestion was to wipe the drive and reinstall the operating system, and all my applications - not very palatable for so little payoff. If anyone can offer suggestions, I would be humbly grateful.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads