From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:05:01 -0600
At 04:14 PM 10/20/2000, you wrote:
>Definitely the GeForce.  Nvidia has a much faster product and driver
>development cycle.  ATI has been the leading vendor of video chipsets, but
>it looks like Nvidia is about to eclipse them because they are just faster
>to market.
>
>Performance-wise, the GeForce is a winner.  It's just very expensive...
>
>Drew Dunn
>The NOSPIN Group

Just as an adjunct to Drew's comments:

Both cards are the fastest on the market.  If it were me and I was going to make
this investment, I would go with one of the GeForce2 cards for two basic reasons:

1)  The 200mhz core speed and 200mhz memory speed advertised by ATI
for this card are not really happening.  ATI has acknowledged they have a
problem with there chipset and it is actually running at 183mhz both core
and DDR Memory.  That a bug exists should warn you this card is not really
consumer ready.

2)  ATI has a real bad reputation for drivers.  They rush to get products on the
market with drivers that often have issues for their products, take a long time
getting bugs worked out with updated drivers made available and then they
are too busy with the next product coming down the line to support older
products with continued driver support.

Personally, I have an ABIT Siluro GF256 GTS card, (a GeForce2 card),
and I would not begin to trade it for an ATI card.  My personal opinion,
you understand...

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: