From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2009 19:23:38 -0700
On 27 May 2009 at 23:25, Eugene Johnson wrote:

> Start up an Intel D865perl mobo with Windows XP pro and the NIC
> adapther doesn't automatically set the network addresses.  Is it
> necessary to change in register?  If so, how do I do?

  DHCP -- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol -- is a mechanism by which a device
can learn what address and other setttings to use on a network *from a server already
configured on that network*.  So these settings will only be filled in IF you are connected
to a network which includes something to provide these settings.

  In many home uses, these settings will come either from your ISP directly, or from
your router which connects your home network of several devices to an ISP.  So we can
best advise you if you can tell us something about how you are connected.

  The alternative to DHCP is to fill in these settings by hand; you do not need to edit the
registry for that, use the Network Connections applt in the Control Panel.  But in most
cases DHCP will do an adequate jopb without you needing to figure out what those
settings need to be, or the risk of getting them wrong.

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP