From:
Fran Bott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:10:35 -0500
When the clock starts loosing time, the battery normally is on it's way out.
If you get a "checksum" error when booting - it is definately on it's way
out.

Turn off the computer.

Open the case and look to see if there is a round silver battery on the
motherboard somewhere. This will be the battery to replace, it will be
obvious - lookslike a large watch battery. The replacement number is 2032.
Standard battery , can be purchased for 2-3.00 most anywhere.
Now if you do not have the round silver battery, it gets a lttle trickier.
There were 2 other types.
1. Dallas time clock battery - is a retangular black battery that is either
soldered to the board or has pins and is pushed in. It is normally located
around one of the outer edges of the board and has the name DALLAS on it. We
have never replaced any of these yet, but if it is a push in and can be
replaced, you can call an Electronics shop in your area and see if they have
them. Be careful pulling it out, gently lift the edges all the way around to
loosen it from it's seat.
2. The second most popular is the blue barrel battery. It is normally
located near the keyboard connector and it is soldered to the board. On most
boards, near (or next to) the battery will be 4 pins in a row with nothing
connected to them. This is where you can bypass the onboard battery. You
will nee a battery pack that holds 2 either AAA or AA batteries. It may or
may not have the connector you need depending on where you buy it. The
connector you need has 4 holes in it and slips over top of the 4 pins you
located near the battery on the  board. It will have only 2 wires coming
from it, a black on one end and a red on the other. If you go somewhere like
Radio Shack, you will have to buy the pieces  seperately and join the wires
yourself. If you go to a real electonics store, they may already have it
setup the way  you need it to be. The battery pack usually has velcro on it
so it can be easily attached to the case when you are done.