From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:48:28 -0800
On  4 Oct 98 at 5:36, Kenneth Alan Boyd Ramsay wrote:

> Rather than replacing the motherboard, I have seen surplus adapter
> daughterboards which plug into the microchannel and provide three
> ISA/EISA sockets.  They are just traces and connectors, so they
> are cheap and simple.  I've never had occasion to use one, but they
> are one more connection to go wrong, and the ISA cards should be
> supported parallel to the motherboard - with space and potential
> overheating problems. I'm guessing that there might be addressing
> problems, too. (e.g. POST card uses 280 H instead of 080 H).

  The PS/2 model 30 used a "riser card" to provide three ISA slots
for boards parallel to the motherboard.  BUT

(A) The motherboard slot for the riser card was NOT an MCA slot.

(B) If it *had* been an MCA slot, the riser card could not have just
been "traces and connectors", it would have required some degree of
bus "bridging" intelligence.

(C) The Model 30 CASE was designed with openings for three ISA cards
parallel to the motherboard.

  I do not believe the boards you've seen will solve this person's
problem.

David G

                                  -----