From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 05:58:38 -0800
On 7 Sep 00, at 2:33, Adele Sapilewski wrote:

> I have my two computers networked together and finaly got Internet
> Connection Sharing to work.  I am now ready to move the second
> computer to another part of the house.  I have a 25 foot crossover
> cable but need it to be at least 35 feet.  My local computer store
> tells me that I can buy a coupler and add another crossover cable
> to it.  Will this work?  Has anyone had experience with connecting
> two of these cables together?  If I do this, will I have any
> networking problems or will I lose speed with my internet
> connection?
>
> Thank you
>
> Adele Sapilewski

  Home Ethernet connections are typically 10 Mbps, although 100 Mbps
gear is beginning to make its way out of offices into well-equipped
homes.  Compare this with modem speeds (10s of Kbps) or
ISDN/DSL/cable modem speeds (a few hundred Kbps).  Your Internet
performance bottleneck will completely be between your home and your
ISP, and even a substantial slowdown of your LAN -- if, for some
reason it were to happen, which it shouldn't -- would probably not be
noticable.

  I was thrown a little, at first, by the advice to use "another
crossover cable".  I think this assumes that the coupler is also
itself a crossover, in which case it could be used with two regular
cables.
  Cat 5/RJ-45 [atch cables do also come in 50' and 100' lengths, for
reasonable prices; a sinle longer cable might not be more than the
coupler.

  At this kind of distance, you may be thinking of putting the cable
permanently inside a ceiling, duct work, or whatever.  Be aware that
in many areas, the local building code requires "plenum rated"
insulation on such cables; also, I've heard that you may experience
problems is a cable closely parallels a fourescent light fixture....

David G