From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:00:23 +0800
Hello,
In Win XP Pro under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager, there is an "unknown device". When I allow it to search for the driver, it finds it as a "Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer". But it will not install as it says that "the data is invalid". All patches, updates and service packs are installed. As are the latest Via 4in1 drivers. There is no sound card installed at the time nor does the mother board [Abit KT7-Raid] have on board sound. Other than this everything seems to work normally until I attempt to install a sound card. At which time the system either hangs on boot or has a severely delayed reaction, if it will finish booting. I get the same results with either a Philips PSC 705, or a Sound Blaster Live or a Muse Maxi-Sound, sound cards which all work in other systems. I have also tried installing them in different PCI slots with no discernable difference. The system has only an AGP video card and a 10\100 network adapter. The raid function is disabled
  in the BIOS. The system in question worked fine with WinME and the Muse Maxi-Sound prior to doing a clean WinXP install.
I have installed Win XP on several different systems with various hardware. This is the only one I've had any problem with.
1. What exactly is a "Microsoft Kernel DLS Synthesizer"?
2. Does it have anything to do with my sound card problems?

             Thank you for any assistance, Dave