From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:50:01 -0500
Frank R.Brown wrote:

>What do people recommend for home backup...
>I'd like to be able to use it with multiple machines...
>I'm thinking of tape, but is this getting outmoded...?
>I think I'd prefer to backup the whole machine...

Frank:

Ultimately, it all depends on what you want to backup.

Like both Tom and Rick, I use Ghost and a CDRW. And, I also use an LS-120,
and removable hard drives. I'd use a RAID if I had the time to set one up
at home. There are various reasons for the diversity.

When I set up a computer, I only install Windows and my core applications
on my C: drive. Once I get it working the way I want it (settings, macros,
etc.), I do a Ghost Image and burn the file on a CDR. There, I can always
restore a base system. If I add an app, I ghost it again.

To back up bookmarks, URLs, email addresses, and such application linked
data, I copy app subdirectories directly onto a CDRW.

All my discrete data, such as docs, spreadsheets, graphics, presentations,
and other files I create (which I consider irreplaceable), I keep on a
separate drive letter and regularly burn entire data directories to CDRs,
date them for permanent archive. I also copy these files to other computers
on premises (via network) and off the premises with various media. Active
files and those on current projects, I copy to LS-120 disks and transfer
them to other computers where I work. I email particularly important files
to web- and company server based email accounts. CDRWs are nice but they
don't fit in shirt pockets, and occasionally, you'll find a CDROM drive
that cannot read it. Obviously, you must have a consistent file naming system.

Win98 CAB files and drivers, downloads and any file that may be re-obtained
through other sources, I keep on separate drives. I don't back these files
up as often, usually only on CDR. I try to keep the Windows Swap file and
other cached storage files on separate partitions or logical drives, which
I don't backup (but purge regularly). Learning how to tell the wheat from
chaff on a Windows system takes time.

Every now and then, I clone entire drives to spare drives I keep in
removable caddies. This gives me an immediately-up-and-running capability.
Hard drives are cheaper than tape drives.... Ghost does a fine drive
transfer, too. Caddies are $10.

Try to keep your data online or near online, so you can retrieve it
immediately. If you use tape, you have to restore the tape to a drive.
Thus, if you have a HDD crash, you have to install a new HDD, then restore
the tape. If you only need one file right away, it can be onerous to
retrieve off a tape, even with file indexes (usually better tape software
is sold separately, not included with consumer-level tape drives). Tape is
always off-line but it's a big volume, unattended archiver so it is useful
if you have huge drives you need to backup.

If you're into digital video, you have to backup on DV tape. That's the
storage reality.

Everyone needs to develop a backup methodology that is copacetic with their
work habits and it must be easy to do. There are network and VPN storage
servers and other alternatives if you have the funds and bandwidth.

Regards,

John Chin

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com