From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 06:57:21 +0000
On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 David Hurst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I have a Sound Meister Pro 16 sound card<snip>
>trying to find th drivers for the card.
>Have searched a number of driver sites for them, but no luck,
>The card manual indicated is is Sound Blaster Pro and AdLib
>compatible, so is it possible that drivers for those cards would
>work with this one ??

Possible but highly unlikely.

"Sound Blaster Pro compatible" means that applications software
written to use Sound Blaster Pro functions will find the same
named function calls with similar effect in the driver(s) for
the Sound Meister Pro 16. So from the user's point of view,
there is no difference in operation: but, down in the basement,
it's a different set of elves at work...

The driver is an exchangeable operating system component
the purpose of which is to hide the hardware interface differences
of devices with similar function by offering a standard low-level
software interface. Foreign device drivers would only work
with your hardware if the devices were functionally compatible
at the hardware I/O register interface level, normally only
possible for a clone copy or a later version of the design.

As alternative lines of research you might try:

(a) finding the FCC ID number on the sound card and looking it up
in the FCC database to find the real name of the manufacturer
(who may have a web site) and the product name (possibly different
from the name it was marketed under).

(b) searching Usenet via www.dejanews.com (use the power search
to get at the full archive - goes back to April '95) for any
discussion of your card, and if that doesn't answer your question
post a message in the same group.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com