From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 13:36:55 -0400
I was stupid that I had my computer on when I was connecting a SCSI CD-ROM
to this PC. Nothing happened when I did it the first time. (I was changing
jumper setup to see if it would work.) This time, when I was connecting the
power and my connector barely touching the power connector in the back of
the CD-ROM, I saw a flash and noise (like static in the night) from the
power connector. My computer was shut down right away. I couldn't boot it
anymore. After trying several times, I gave up and turn everything off from
surge protector. I thought I either fried my CPU/motherboard or my
powersupply went west.

Miraculously, when I tried turning it on again 10 minutes later, it booted
OK. Everything works fine so far. Just wonder what happened when it turned
itself off. What parts would be damaged if something like this happens? I
learn a big lesson NOT to connecting anything again when computer is on.
Usually, I disconnect and connect external SCSI devices when the computer
is on and nothing have happened so far. I guess it's more risky to do this
on an internal device.

Thanks for any tips,

Changhsu Liu

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]