Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 01:20:23 -0500
To all on the list,

There was a recent post that unfortunately stated something to the
effect that a person did not use any grounding of the computer and did
not use a wrist strap.  And it appeared that since nothing had happened,
it was probably okay (or something to that effect).

I strongly urge everyone to not follow those thoughts.

Jim Meagher said it very clearly in his most recent post on this
subject.  To actually see electron microscope scans of damaged or
injured IC's and other components would change your mind in a heartbeat
when you consider that it is your hardearned money you are playing with.

It does not cost much and it is not difficult for a newbie
electronic/computer technician wanna-be to create a simple grounding
strap for a computer and to purchase a decent ESD wrist strap to use.
According to a Charles Waters ESD video tape I have played over the past
11 years to technicians and engineers attending our training courses on
the electronic transmitters we manufactured, a static potential as small
as 100 V can damage a component (note that it is not necessarily an IC
chip). Jim is absolutely correct in stating that the damage may not be
immediate.

If anyone wants to take shortcuts, that is their perogative. Just
remember when you loose that motherboard or cpu just after
the warranty expires.

Everyone should encourage everyone else to practice ESD (ElectroStatic
Discharge) safety and respect electricity and practice Electrical
Safety.  True, people may not know much about either, but if they are on
the internet or there is a library nearby, they have a wealth of
knowledge available and should make use of it.

And here is my final two cents on this subject (for now).  If that
computer case is NOT connected to an earth ground, and you walk up to it
carrying a large static charge and try to ground yourself to the case,
the only thing you have done is provided a potential to the ground
(better yet, let me use the word COMMON) to the common return path of
all components that attach to that common.  One VERY terrible problem
with special IC chips is they cannot take ANY voltage applied to them in
reverse direction.  (There are some exceptions but I am keeping this
short.)

So the next time you think grabbing an ungrounded case is going to stop
a potentially damaging voltage from entering your computer system,
BETTER THINK AGAIN!

Well, you all have probably thought I have said too much.  So I'll leave
with this:  Please be safe, both with ESD and Electricity.  (Hey, it
rhymes when spoken!!!)

Happy Computing,
--
Jean Bourvic :>))