Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 11:38:50 +1000
Mark Rode wrote:

> A Celeron running at 541Mhz on 100 Mhz Bus in a cutting edge board with 256
> megs of P100 ram and a Diamond TNT2 ULTRA  can run any game on the market
> superbly. And running with 128 megs is no different.

Have you ever see what Geforce overtake TNT2 in real life? it does better job,
If you are talking about game performance, you should see it. SSE from P3 CPU
does make a bit different in games if it is supported and for overview
performance, an later SSE enhanced Celeron would be better, in todays
computing, overclocked 541 celeron is not cuting edge. latest games do make FPS
different on faster CPU.

> There you go again ...good number for what ????
> 256 is a good number if you are using Win 2000  in a Busy Server or
> Professional Workstation environment but I have found for a home office
> 2000, Internet computer running Windows 2000 Pro 64 megs of RAM does just
> fine and 96 megs is down right is quick !

It is my exp that win2k with 64M RAM runs slow, and 128 is ok for most tasks,
256M has no problem yet for win2k pro, because I didn't run any server apps or
big advanced apps like 3D MAX (but I do run something big and memory hugger),
but I do find 256M is better (and it is faster than 128M) for general use in
most office and home environment.
Of 'cos CPU is an issue for win2k, but I think P3-550 is good enough so memory
has to do with the performance hit.

If I was wrong, pls prove and correct me, it will benefit for everyone here.
At last, the list is not a fighting place, we only talk about tech topic here,
so be nice. If you have any personal word to me, please sent to my emaill
directly.

Jun Qian