From:
Michael Wurster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:40:24 -0700
Peter,
I guess it all comes down to the following......what are you trying to
protect, and how much is it worth. If you have data on your computer that
is worth a bunch of time/money, you would be more careful with it then if
you had a bunch of junk. I personally feel fairly safe with the
following....up to date antivirus, a software firewall, and NAT in the
router. I make sure M/S print & file sharing are not bound to TCP/IP , and
I go to Steve Gibson's site every once in a while and have his site probe
for holes. I've been on broadband for over three years and haven't had a
problem. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe my setup is good enough for 99% of the
attacks and I haven't been hit yet....or maybe I have and there wasn't
anything worth messing with. I do know that the router gets hit with probes
all the time so somebody's looking for mischief.

Bottom line is....risk vs cost.

Hope this helps you out.

Michael

http:\\www.grc.com

BTW...Gibson can blow smoke from time to time, so remember he is a salesman
first....but some of his tools are first rate.

At 07:35 AM 10/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I just got DSL service to my home and have installed a Microsoft MN-100
>router (it was at Staples for $35). How paranoid do I need to be?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com