From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:28:08 -0500
Ron Taylor wrote:

> I recently upgraded two 488 dx33 computers to P233.  I used an ASUS TXP4
> motherboard, 64 meg ram, Intel P233-MMX and reused everything else.  I find
> that these two computers are not as fast as a couple of P90's that I have in
> place.  What should I look for in the setup to make these machines respond?

Ron:

We assume you set the clock multiplier and BUS speeds correctly, with
L-1 and L-2 cache enabled.

In addition to the suggestions of changing the VIDEO CARD and HARD
DISK and reinstalling Win95 mentioned earlier, you should verify you have
high quality EDO 60-ns or FASTER (Synchronous Dynamic RAM only
in your DIMM slots is even better).

With EDO, go into CMOS and change the memory timing to 60-nanosec
and set the CAS timing to  5-2-2-2.

If you have SDRAM, set the timing to 5-1-1-1.

You need fast RAM to take advantage of the 66MHz BUS of your
Pentium. You need at least 60-ns; this will reduce the number of
WAIT STATES which will appreciably slow down your system. Triton HX
or newer chipsets can take advantage of 50ns EDO. If you go SDRAM,
don't mix in EDO; SDRAM is much faster, 10-ns.

EDO is 15-20% faster than Fast Page RAM (which runs 5-3-3-3 timing
at best). EDO tops out at a 66MHz bus but SDRAM is good to 100MHz.

NEVER use 70ns or any borderline 60-ns RAM (the cheap brands) in your
Pentiums. Wait States rob your Pentium of performance (like, a Ferrari and
a VW Bug can travel just as fast if they travel down the same streets and
stop at all the same traffic lights and wait).

Regards,

John Chin