From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 02:07:34 -0600
Steve Dias wrote:

> I'm putting together my first ATX system using an Enlight 7200 Desktop
> ATX Case. My case did not come with the extra cooling fan on the front
> of the case, but I will be adding one. My question is: Which direction
> should the fan blow, in or out? I assume since this is an ATX case that
> the power supply fan will blow air into the case. Therefore should I
> have the extra fan on the front blow air out of the case?

I recently used an Enlight 7237 Mid-Tower ATX case to build a new system
for myself. The case came with the extra cooling fan at the lower front,
and it sucks air in at that point. The power supply fan was
factory-installed to blow air out at the upper rear, so the two fans
together create a wind tunnel effect. Ambient air is drawn into the case
at the lower front, then drawn upward across the motherboard and CPU,
and finally exits the case after passing through the power supply.

If your power supply fan is installed to draw air into the case at that
point, I would consider physically reversing it, [*], so that it blows
the hot air out of the case, and installing the front fan to draw air in
at that point.

[*] This will likely void the warranty on the power supply. My power
supply has a sticker to that effect.

Jeff Delzer

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]