From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 17:08:23 -0600
At 05:03 PM 04/30/2000 , Bobby Sutton wrote:
>I need some help guys. Yesterday I took my gateway in and added a 8.4 gig
>HD. along side my original 1.6 HD. The guy at the shop partioned them with
>Partion Magic, and used Nortons Ghost to copy system over to new drive. I
>got home and upgraded to Win 98 to keep from having to partition 3 times as
>I was using Win 95A. I wanted to have the machine recognize one large drive.
>Well I am in a registered cluster screw here now, My computer , after
>screwing around with fdisk, now shows all my system on drive C.
>Drive D just has command.com on it. the C disk shows the  size of 2.99 gig,
>with all my stuff on it, the original actual size is 1.6     D shows only
>1.56 gig   I should be reading a total of 8.4 gig for new drive and 1.6 for
>old one. I cannot find my missing space so I assume I do not know how to
>make them one drive or two drives with correct size. Can I fix this with
>fdisk and if so would someone tell me the correct commands
>   In Fdisk now it shows two drives, C & D. when I ran Nortons disk doctor it
>scanned D ok but says it is not an actual physical drive. I am lost to say
>the least. Thanks for any help any of you can send me !

The first thing you need to sort out is exactly how large the
partitions are on each drive.

Boot to a DOS prompt or a command prompt, then run
Fdisk to view the partitions.  Do not make any changes
and be careful.  If you modify the partitions you will have
a difficult time recovering your data.

My first inclination is that one or both drives are not compatible
with either each other or the bios.  Does the system recognize
the new drive in the BIOS?  Are both disks configured properly,
jumper pins set to master and slave, appropriately?

You can try disconnecting the small drive, which you indicate is
now the slave drive and check to see if the system recognizes
the new drive alone.   Then you have a good idea it is a compatibility
issue between the two drives.  It also could be they are not set
properly as master and slave.

Basically, from the sounds of these issues, it is not Windows
related, but rather your hardware configuration and/or the
manner they are partitioned.  If you paid someone to install
the new disk, I would return and have them cure this problem
as it appears to be related to the installation of the new disk.

This one is hard to diagnose without the system in front of you.
See if you can supply us with more information and maybe we
can give you a better answer...  hard drive(s) make and model,
date of the Bios, Fdisk partition information and insure they
drives are jumpered properly for master/slave.

If you need more information about master/slave configuration,
you can read my articles on the subject at:
   http://nospin.com/pc/ts001.html
(read columns #10 - #13)

Sorry I cannot be of more help...

      Bob Wright