From:
Tom Mayer SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:46:36 -0800
Uninstall and reinstall ver1.1 and the update should then install
without any problem.

I could not get SP3 to complete an install until I had to replace a HD
and do a fresh install of XP followed immediately by all updates
including SP3 before installing anything else. No problem with the
installation and everything is OK since then. I had the CD's for SP2 and
SP3 so it was easy and relatively fast.

In Device Manager, I have one enhanced USB with the driver dated 6/02
and I have four standard USB with the drivers dated 7/01. If this is
what you are referring to, then I do not think SP3 had anything to do
with it based on the fact that they are not all enhanced and that the
drivers are prior to SP3. Since I do not know the operational
differences between enhanced and standard USB, I can't delve any further
into your question.

Tom

On 1/9/2010 12:26 PM, Harvey Rose wrote:
> This was sent before but I never got a reply if you go it.
> I orginally posted the question about the USB speed with a Canon
> Scanner. I was a talking to a computer tech and he said if running
> Windows XP Home Edition that I should upgrade to SP3 which changes the
> drivers for USB I'm told. I'm currently running SP2 version with the
> most recently updates. I did put SP3 on once and the computer crashed
> so I'm  hestiate to put it on.  Is it worth the upgrade? Will this
> speed up the USB ports?  My USB port is saying standard USB not
> enchanced. I have checked the BIOS and it is set for 1.1/2.0. My
> motherboard is GA-M57SLI-S4.  Would it be better to buy a USB PCI card
> to solve it. I connected the scanner directly to the motherboard
> directly and still got the message that it would run faster in
> Enhanced 2.0 USB.  This wouldn't have anything to do with .NET
> Framework has I'm having troubleinstalling the upgrade for ver 1.1
> (Which I believe is another problem)..
>
> Thanks for the previous answers.
> Harvey Rose

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: