Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:10:07 -0400
Good Afternoon All,

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with or expert knowledge about the
performance of Intel's Pentium D 945 (or Pentium D 935) processor compared
to Intel's recently introduced E4400 Core 2 Duo processor?

In the Dell machine I wish to order, both CPUs run with a 800 MHz FSB and
use 667 MHz DDR2 memory. Also both processors are within a few dollars of
each other in Dell's pricing structure, but curiously the older technology
Pentium D 945 which has 2x2MB L2 cache and supports VT (Intel's
Virtualization Technology) is priced slightly higer than the just introduced
Core 2 Duo E4400 which has1x2MB shared L2 cache and lacks VT support.

Does this mean that the Pentium D 945 is the better performing processor, or
does it simply mean that D 945 is more expensive to manufacture than the
newer Core 2 Duo E4400? Unfortunately Dell doesn't include either processor
in their current CPU performance chart, so one is left guessing which CPU
offers the better overall performance.

See:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/dimen/topics/en/dhs_cpu_landing?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs.

While reseaching this topic I learned that testing results posted at various
online hardware forums seem to indicate the E4400 has the edge over the D
945 in most benchmark categories, sometimes significantly so.

Surprisingly, I've also read in a couple highly technical, genuinely geekish
forums that all Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs have many and serious design and/or
coding flaws that Intel has yet to address and fix. These reports advised
against buying any machine using a Core 2 Duo processor until Intel's fixes
the problems in revised and updated versions of these CPUs which are likely,
or so concluded the authors of teh reports I read, to be released in about a
year's time.

Bottom line is: which processor should I select?

Thanks in advance to one and all for landing me a hand in making the proper
choice.  I remain,

Yours with Kind Regards,
Jeffrey Ottie

eom