Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:16:13 +1200
I recently built a system for a customer who expressly asked for a P4  (I normally use AMD)

A Gigabyte 8IK1100 board seemed to have the features he wanted, and I added two sticks of 512 DDR 400 ram.

He wants to do video editing so I got him a LeadTek Winfast A180 MX440 MyViVo card.

He already had an 80Gb drive which I used to host the XPHome system and I provided an additional 250Gb drive..  They're both IDE drives.

Well - this turned out to be a seriously fast setup.  The GFX card isn't state of the art, but it still posted over 300 FPS using the Quake demo.

Obviously, it was more costly than an AMD system, based on a motherboard with onboard graphics, but the customer is well pleased.

BTW - I routinely turn XP's 'cosmetics'.  The results are a significant increase in speed and performance.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

  From: Frank R. Brown
  Subject: [PCBUILD] Gigabyte GA-8knxp + 2.8GHz P4: comments?

  I'm looking to put together a system
  (enthusiast / general-aggressive computing / gaming),
  and will have many questions, and look forward to your
  advice.

  First question:

  I'm looking at using a GA-8knxp motherboard with a
  2.8 GHz P4 processor.  How does this sound?
  Does it make sense?  It seems like the next couple
  of steps in processor speed start costing that "latest
  and greatest" premium.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml