From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 02:09:19 -0500
The router assigns them each a fixed IP address.  Computer 1 is 192.168.2.36, and computer 2 is 192.168.2.22.  The router is 192.168.2.1. My ISP is now AT&T, which took over when Excite@home bellied up.  It is a new and different network.

Both computers work fine when connected directly to the cable modem individually, so something is wrong with the router/switchbox, which is only about two months old.  I will try resetting it to factory defaults and setting it up from scratch.  If that doesn't work I'll send it back to the factory, SMC.  I think it is having compatibility problems with the way AT&T set up its new network.  You now have a network that starts with 10.??.??.?? that is not available to nonmembers.  It is way more secure than excite@home was.  If anyone has other ideas I might try, I am still listening.  Thanks.