Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 08:20:46 +0200
Dear Mrs. Wolden,
I'm in a position similar to Mr. Sanburn's, except that I don't
intend working in computers.  I'm thinking of getting some kind of
certification just to understand my own system and out of curiosity,
and taking tests helps me to concentrate on what I'm studying.

I've looked at the CompTIA site, and I'm thinking of starting with A+
both because it looks a lot easier than Microsoft's, and because I
hope that in any case that the A+ will make it easier to understand
the MSCE material if I decide to go that way later.

1.  What do you think?
2.  I live in the Middle East in a place where there aren't too many
live A+ courses.  Is there a self-teaching or online course that you
would recommend?  I would prefer self-teaching, if possible, because
it looks a lot less expensive.
3.  Though I still have Win95 on the kids' machine, it looks to me
like it's almost an obsolete OS.  I have Win98 on mine, and MS seems
to be treating even that as almost obsolete.  Does this greatly
reduce the value of the A+ course for someone like me?

Thanks for reading this endless scroll.

> If your computer knowledge is from beginning to intermediate I would
> definetely start with A+ certfication.  A+ Certification is 2 tests,
> the Core covering harware and the DOS/Windows test covering Dos,
> Windows 3.1, and Windows 95, troubleshooting, installation and
> configuration.

Thank you.
David Jonathan Justman

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: