From:
Adrian Juanengo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:44:05 +0800
At 11:53 PM 9/1/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Normally, I would not hesitate. In this case, however, there is no visible
>switch on the adapter(transformer) and it makes me wonder how the vendor can
>build one that will supposedly 'automatically switch voltage (110 to 240) and
>frequency (50-60). From the feedback so far, I am becoming exceedingly
>hesitant to try, in case i lose the laptop.

I live in the Philippines, where electric power is supplied at 220V 60Hz
(240V actually) *and* 110V 60Hz (120V actually). Many consumer appliances
that are sold here come with "world model" power supplies, which can use
input voltages of 90-240v AC, 50-60 Hz. These power supplies have no
switches; they are "automatic". Offhand, I can name the following machines,
all of which I own, which make use of some type of these "autoswitching"
power supplies:

Dell Latitude CPi notebook
IBM ThinkPad iSeries 1400
Palm Vx
iomega Zip 250 USB drive
Kodak DC 150 Digital Camera
Sony Handycam (forgot which model)
Nokia 6150 GSM cellular phone (power supply for charging the battery)

All of them work, without fail, here in the Philippines, and in Hong Kong,
Australia, Thailand, and the US, where I have traveled.

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions