From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:36:16 -0400
----------
On Tuesday, September 15, 1998 7:35 PM Brad Loomis wrote:

As it turns out, I didn't have the drive enabled to spin up in SCSI Select.
So David was right, but for a different reason. This leads to my next
question:
How do I configure things so I can boot from this drive? Is this not
possible as long as I have the WD-Caviar drive installed? I was unable to
set any part of the SCSI drive as active, in fdisk, in order to boot to that
drive and make it my main drive and the WD as a back up drive. Doesn't seem
to matter what boot order I have set up in the BIOS. I want to install
System Commander to be able to use LINUX and Win95 SR2, and DOS 6.22. Any
recommendations on partition sizes would also be most appreciated. I asked
this some time ago, but got no response.
Thank you
Brad Loomis

Brad,
Boot order of SCSI devices is controlled by the adapter.  Typically
you tell the SCSI adapter's onboard BIOS which drive (or drive order)
to boot.  An Adaptec 2940 searches all devices attached for bootable
sectors.  This leads to some interesting setups if you are casual with
details.  My SCSI CD drive always boots first, unless it is empty or not
bootable, then my A: drive is searched, then my D: hard disk.
You can force the search to start with a particular SCSI ID, the
default is zero.  Each disk can have an active partition.  I don't understand
your fdisk problem.  Try deleting all partitions, then creating the primary
partition, and setting the primary partition as active.
For what its worth, my only multi-boot pc uses a 200 meg system partition
for each operating system, and a massive FAT data partition all the operating
systems can share.  I'm using NT, not Linux.
Tom Turak

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**