From:
Bob Lendrim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:57:21 -0500
Thanks to those who responded to this request. I now have the computer display on the 42" 1080p 1920x1080 HDTV and it looks good!! I looked around a lot, and finally found a used passive cooled (no noisy fan) MSI nVidia AGP 6200 with VGA & DVI outputs. I used a DVI to HDMI converter cable because the TV had neither DVI or VGA inputs. (Don't buy a TV or monitor that doesn't have the inputs you need.) The puter is a reconditioned black IBM A50p (Intel 865G chipset), same color and size as my stereo receiver, so it matches good. Now I can listen to my mp3's and flac files through the stereo, and watch video files on the big TV. Next I need to replace the present CD-R drive with a DVD drive and I should be able to play DVD's also. The driver software I installed for the 6200 included some nice nVidia display utilities. The utilities gave me a choice of resolutions up to 1080i, but not 1080p. I don't know why 1080p is not available, maybe a limitation of the NV 6200 card. When I'm done buying the DVD drive, the home-made (playback only) HTPC will have cost about $250.
Thanks again for the help. Bob Lendrim

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml