From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:35:11 -0400
Thanks for the information. My drive is IDE drive, and I tried what you
suggested. I inserted the disk when I chose to install other peripherals.
It still didn't work. The message I got this time is:

Setup has determined that one or more of your hard disks has more than 1024
cylinders.
Because MS-DOS is normally limited to 1024 cylinders per hard disk, some
hard disk controllers offer special configuration options to allow access
to large disks in their entirety. These options are known as sector
translation modes. if a disk has only slightly more than 1024 cylinders.,
or such a mode is not enabled, a small portion of the disk remains
inaccessible to ms-dos. Consult your computer or hard disk controller
document for more info9 about sector translation and large hard disks.

Setup is unable to locate the harddisk partition prepared by the MS-DOS
portion of setup.

When you run the MS-DOS Windows NT setup program, you must specify a
temporary drive that is supported by Windows NT. See your system guide for
more information.

Setup cannot continue. Press F3 to exit.

What else can I do?

Thanks,

Changhsu Liu

====================
At 06:01 PM 10/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
On 8 Oct 99, at 10:42, Changhsu P. Liu wrote:
 > Any suggestions to make it work with NT4 with minimum effort
 > (hopefully no reformat of the whole drive is needed)?

This is an IDE disk ?

To utilise large IDE hard disks with NT setup, you need to
provide, at install time, the ATAPI.SYS driver from NT Service
Pack 4.
You can download ATAPI.EXE from Microsoft which is a self
extracting file whose contents you place on diskette. This has
the .SYS driver and the .INF file.

During setup, it will ask to detect mass storage devices. You
press S and provide the diskette with the updated ATAPI driver.

There is a KB article on the MS site that describes this in more
detail.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>