From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:17:43 -0400
Greetings listfolk--

I am providing network/user support for our Property Owners Association
and on four of the ten Windows 98SE computers on the LAN the
system.ini file has disappeared.  We were/are able to fix the problem by a
simple copy of the file from another machine sneaker-netted over to
the afflicted computer.  This has happened now to both experienced
and inexperienced users, who, in any case, aren't likely to be "fooling
around" in the Windows folder.  (But of course, my fly on the wall
suit is at the cleaners, so I can't say for certain.)  The antivirus is
current on a daily basis via a LAN-wide install that auto-updates,
so I doubt it's a virus or a trojan.  Does anyone know what could
cause c:\windows\system.ini to spontaneously disappear? or is this
possibly a case where the MS IDE drive cache patch may be needed?

Thanks for all of your wisdom.

Paul A. Shippert

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com