From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 11:56:43 -0700
On 1 May 99, at 22:58, Karl D. Ficenc wrote:

> I'm building a new system using a Mitsumi D359M3 3.5" FDD.  Looking a the
> back of the drive, I can only find the number "2" on the PCB at the left end
> of the 34 pin ribbon cable connector.  I expected to find a "1" indicating
> the pin 1 location.  I'm guessing the "2" is there on the PCB because pin 1
> is actually the top pin at the left side of connector and pin 2 is below it
> closer to the PCB.  Can anyone in the group confirm that pin 1 is on the
> left side of the connector when looking at the back of the drive for this
> model?

  My interpretation of the "2" marking is as you suggest, and this has never
failed me.

  Several others have posted that connecting a floppy drive backwards does no
permanent damage.  I can only testify from personal experience that of the
three 3.5" floppies that I have ever connected backwards, none has ever
worked again.  Apparently it's something about my karma.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html