From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:08:13 -0800
Daniel Ellis Wrote:

I am working on a clients PC Express older 486 running Win95 a.
Everytime
it gets in windows, windows does not detect a mouse.  It is a serial
mouse
on com1.

Com 1 shows up in the device manager fine, no conflicts on irq 4.  The
mouse
works great on my linux machine.  I installed a different i/o card and
still
no mouse.  The cmos is older, so there is no mention of IRQ or pnp, or
anything of the sort.

After following this "mouse" thread, I find the information  correct and
useful. I experienced the same thing with a clients machine a month ago.

It started with a hard drive failure and continued from there. I tried
my backup mouse, A new Logitech First Mouse and a Logitech MouseMan
serial three button.

The first two wouldn't work and the third  worked. What I had to do was
Install the most recent MS Mouse driver and set the mouse to Com 2.There
was some kind of problem with Com 1. Never did get Com one to work and I
suspect that there may have been a problem with the mother board or
bios.

Older machines can present many unique and interesting problems to say
the least. The information gathered from this list is first class.
<smile>

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html