From:
Edna Sloan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:19:57 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>

>Edna,
>
>Saying that the C: drive disappeared doesn't give us much detail to work
>with.  What was/is the error message you see when you try to boot the PC?

"System cannot start" and something to the effect of "use the startup
disk"(Windows 98).  When I use the boot disk and run Fdisk it shows there
are no partitions defined--apparently my MBR was wiped out or damaged.  I
also ran Partition Magic 3 and it showed "empty space" for the drive.  I
think the data is still there though.  Windows was running fine till I
rebooted.  The bios "sees" the drive, but it is not a valid drive in Windows
or DOS.  I'm sure I could Fdisk and format OK but don't want to lose my
files.  I may have gotten a virus from the Seagate file I downloaded for
LLF?

>When you removed the D drive, did you set the jumper on C to be the only
>drive instead of master?
>I don't work with Conner drives so I'm not even sure if this is necessary,
>but since we don't have any details, it's worth a shot.

The C drive(Quantum)doesn't have the "only drive" jumper, just master, slave
and cable select.  The Conner was detected as drive D, and my C drive was
working fine when I ran the LLF on drive D.

Thanks, Edna

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html