Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:27:01 -0400
For those who have never tried to recover a drive it might seem to be "easily done". I have their older recovery program and it is definitly not easy to recover a drive, at least for me.

I called Ontract and they charge from $600 to $2000 to do it. He said that if the Drive had been zeroed out written over, itīs dificult to recover and success depends on how many times itīs been overwritten.

So,in summary to this long thread and in answer to the original question, in my opinion, one can FDISK/FORMAT and zero out a drive and safely donate it. However, if that information is vital or sensitive, than destroy the platters inside the drive and donate the computer without the Hard Drive.

Mike Michel

 --- On Sun 10/05-03, Tony Mayer at [log in to unmask] wrote:
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Wiping hard drive clean

I think "easily done" is a relative term.  It can be done, and if you know how to do it, it is very simple.  There are programs out there that are designed just for this.  I have never done it, but I would start with Google and do a search on something like Hard Drive File Restore and see what comes up.

Additionally, I wouldn't count on running one of these programs and having the file returned to the exact state it was in before.  Rather, I believe that you would have better luck retrieving data from the drive and putting it on a different drive.

Tony Mayer