From:
Javier Vizcaino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:09:55 +0200
Hi.
What follows is not an answer; just an opinion that can be
completely wrong.
Take into account that in the early days the electronics
involved in the parallel port (and keyboard) were TTL
signals. TTL chips manufacturers only guaranteed things
working when PCB tracks were limited to 1 foot (30 cm). In
that sense the printer and the keyboard cables were out of
TTL specifications, but things worked, since in practice
(and in garage electronics) these things work.
So you can alleviate these 'out of specs' things working on
the cable (shielding, grounding and separation). More than
that, a cable is a cable and a digital signal is a digital
signal.
Now, although the TTL levels are maintained, the chips
involved are moreless customs, with input/output stages
probably with more driving capability than TTL chips. So
improvements could be on the electronics (say current
controlled instead of voltage controlled), but I haven't
heard of any significant invention in cabling. The only
thing would be more signal separation (to minimize mutual
capacity), and you should see this if the cable is thicker.
May be you see an ordinary $2-3 chinese printer 25 wire
printer cable and a "brand" one costing 20 times that; the
only difference may be how happy are the vendor and
manufacturer when selling one. It is usual that the PC
vendor sells a printer at his own cost, and his benefit is
the cable; of course he will say how wonderful it is.
So my advice is:
-Distinguish 18 and 25 wire cables through its thickness;
take only the thick ones (25).
-Individual shielding would make the cable much more thick,
so this should be carefully checked to be true.
-More signal separation would also make the cable thicker.
Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]
http://www.automodelismo.com http://ability53.hypermart.net
  Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
  Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
  Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1     (ln(-1) is
complex, but exists)