From:
Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:07:49 +1200
> I have never built a PC from Hardware components, but I am looking into building my own computer from scratch. If there is anyone that could give me any information on how to assemble a PC, or the required components, I would be extremely grateful.

Ben,

You've certainly found the right place in the PC BUILD List.
The guys on this List have helped me build my own, starting from knowing just the basics.
I said I'd repay them, - so here's the start.

Building the hardware is easy, - the hard parts come before, and after.

The first hard decision is, deciding which hardware to buy .........
(Here I presume that you are like most of us amateur builders, - which hardware is best, needing to know of a sure upgrade path, and building to a budget)

The third hard part is in configuring your new system to make it work to the max.
This is where your original decisions matter.  (as I have just found out)

Another point is that, " There is no such thing as a silly question " re: computers.
This reflects the speed of change, and the fact that nobody knows all the answers; - but that many people have knowledge and skill in various aspects.

Never be shy to ask a silly question, I've learned a lot by asking silly questions.

If you are serious about getting started, then may I suggest you look at the PC BUILD site, and then as many others as you can Google.

Probably ; the best first advice is to e.mail our List to ask about our various opinions about different Motherboards and CPUs etc.
May I say that my preference is for an ASUS A7V mobo. - with any AMD processor,
- others will have different ideas.

Your choice at this point leads to where to go next.
You may have noticed, if following the thread on the List, that there is no shortage of help.

Kevin.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>