Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:40:36 +0200
Bill,
just a couple of ideas:

Have you checked whether your ISP has different dial-in phone numbers for
older and newer (V.90 or V.92) modems?

Possibly your modem wasn't as new as you thought. Might need a firmware
update from the web site of US Robotics?

I presume both modems mentioned are internal (PCI) ones?
Have you checked your modem in Device Manager?

Regards,
Göran Halfvarson, Sweden

---
> The only problem was that the Phoenix 56K modem (that was still in the
> case) no longer worked properly.  The old modem installed on COM 1, but I
> couldn't get it to work at all, even though it installed - but the
> diagnostic test indicated that it was not communicating properly w/the
> comp.
>
> So, yesterday I went out and bought a new US Robotics 56K modem, and THIS
> time, the modem installed correctly - on COM 2 (don't know why this new
> modem used a different COM port), but in any case, the diagnostic test
> showed that the comp was communicating w/the new modem just fine.
>
> Here's the problem -  The modem dials up and attempts to communicate with
> my local ISP, but it never quite makes the connection properly.  It keeps
> cycling through the faster and faster tones (know what I mean?), like 2 or
> 3 times, but never actually connects.

---
> Thanks - Bill Todd

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: