From:
Brendon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:48:02 +0200
This is the procedure I try to follow if there is a problem on my little 3
PC network at home.

Setup up computer 1. Make sure that the correct network card is setup under
network neighbourhood (Right click the icon select properties, OR Control
Panel > Network). Install TCP/IP. You've already installed Client for
Microsoft Networks. Click on File and Print Sharing. and check both boxes
once you have read them and agree that that is what you want to do. Select
the TCP/IP protocol and click properties and on IP Address tab, Specify IP
address and type in the value 192.168.1.0 in IP Address and the value
255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask. Also make sure that you have a device
shared (A printer or a folder or a drive).

Now go to your other PC and do exactly the same thing except type the IP
address as 192.168.1.1 with the same Subnet Mask.

You should now see both computers on the network. I have a slightly
different configuration this side (I have WinNT 4, Win 95 and Win 98 on my
network and I select on the Access Control tab of the network dialog box,
the User-Level Access control and specified my NT box to obtain list of
users.

If you need more help setting up Proxy server etc. Send to the list again.
(I can't help on that 'cos I've never set that up, but I'm sure others can).

<snip>
Following replies to this thread I installed a hub. The two computers
show in Network Neighborhood, Win98, on one computer, but not the other.
I checked settings several times.

Client for Microsoft Networks Properties, General, only Quick logon is
checked.
I have no need for password protection.

TCP/IP Properties, Gateway is blank.

My Computer, Sharing, C Drive is shared As "C".

Tried
Obtain an IP address automatically
169.254.1.1
                2
192.168.1.1
                2
Changing Primary Network Logon to Windows Logon
Adding  NetBEUI

Changed settings sometimes resulted in both computers having opposite
results.

Demetri Kolokotronis

<snip>

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,