From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 23:43:29 -0700
A router can act as a hardware firewall (though if you want to get REALLY
technical, it's a "firmware" firewall). It 'can' do this for both inbound
and outbound traffic. It all has to do with the firmware in the router. Most
of the Linksys routers use a form of Linux for their firmware and are pretty
good at firewalling both in and outbound traffic.

It all comes down to the configuration. Remember, a firewall is about
restricting use to certain ports. I have a Linksys router, and with it I can
either allow or disallow traffic via any port, and can even discriminate
based on wireless or wired traffic. Typically the default settings are
pretty good, but for a determined hacker, they are not enough.
Unfortunately, we could write an entire manual on how configure each router
to block the appropriate ports. I would suggest you look up the instructions
for the specific to your router for best results.

The standard ports you typically want to allow are:

20 - FTP (data)
21 - FTP (control)
22 - SSH
25 - SMTP (email)
80 - HTTP
110 - POP3 (email - client)
143 - IMAP (email - client)
443 - HTTPS

There are more, depending on your needs, especially if you do online gaming.
Above are the basics, though. Outside of these, you want to block all other
ports.

Go through the help screens in your router's configuration to learn more
about what each setting does. If you are confused on terminology, I would
suggest a Google or Wikipedia search. That might be faster than going
through the list, but don't hesitate to ask if you cannot find the answers.

Cheers!
Kyle Elmblade

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Vernon Plumlee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Thomas, but why would a firewall be needed for
> outbound messages? Feel like I'm losing something here... I and my brother
> are the only users and we're a little technically challenged. The router I
> have is a Linksys BEFSR41, 4 port. Do you know if this one would not suffice
> as a firewall for inbound messages. Thanks for your input ! Vern.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Mayer" <[log in to unmask]

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml