From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:23:45 -0700
--

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:57:17   Steve Face wrote:
>Just had Dell computers installed at work. Everyone who got the new
>computers noticed two horizontal lines on the 17" monitors. They appear
>light gray and about a pixel in width, one near the top and the other near
>the bottom. They are fixed in position and appear on the desktop and any
>application. The lines are very annoying as they look just like page breaks
>in Word.
>SysAdmin reports that (1) this is normal for the Trinitron monitor, or (2)
>it is a known defect that Sony may or may not correct.
>Does anyone know about this???

        Perfectly normal, one can only get used to it. The Sony monitors use what is called an aperture grill. To put it simply, it uses very fine wires to mask parts of the display that shouldn't be hit by a particular gun, this is in contrast with normal shadow mask monitors which use a metal sheet with very small wholes in it. The problem with the wires is they are vertical and need something to maintain the proper distance between them, that is what you are seeing, the two horizontal wires to maintain the positions. Personal preference determines whether to go for a shadow mask display or an arpeture grill. For text, I find the shadow mask far superior, we have arpeture grill monitors at school and they suck for small text. I find that the sony technology monitors are much sharper for gaming and for things where you don't have to look at very fine detail, however for working with tiny fonts, or doing alot of reading the shadow mask monitors are better. Please note, this is my opinion, some people feel the other way round. TTYL

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html