From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 23:47:07 -0700
Peter wrote:
>I was trying to flash the BIOS on my new Shuttle computer when the
>programming software reported a verification error.

>I could not turn the power off since the computer could not boot. I tried
>to restore the old binary file to the BIOS, but each attempt continued to
>return a verification failure.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble flashing the BIOS. Is there another
recovery utility you can use to recover a failed upgrade? I know that Intel
offers such a utility and when I upgrade a BIOS I have the recovery disk
handy just in case something goes wrong.

>To solve my problem, I had to call Shuttle tech support and have them send
>me a new BIOS chip.

>the technician was easy to deal with and did not even
>charge me for the part of shipping.

I would say that Tech support is right on and you are fortunate this has
happened. Have you visited their site to see if there is any specific
problem with the BIOS? Some times the manufacturer will give a list of known
board or component glitches. Sometimes you can find certain problems that
are on the recall or technical issues list.

>is it possible to pull the chip while power is on to the computer, insert
>another chip and then program it? What I am really asking is whether it
>will damage the flash RAM chip by removing and inserting it with the power
>turned on. Obviously, I can't turn the power off before placing a blank
>chip in since the computer will not boot then.

No you can't pull the chip with the system running. Well you can however,
you may fry the board. All components are replaced with the system off and
unplugged. TO replace a component such as a BIOS chip or memory would cause
a spark going in either direction. Out of in. In the past when I was new at
this game I used to unplug and plug the power connection to the hard drive.
That was before I learned you can't do that. I fried several drives that
way. Shorted out the drive motor and cooked the board. Be safe and shut down
the system.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0536-0, 09/05/2005
Tested on: 9/5/2005 11:47:02 PM

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com