From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:16:52 -0400
Being a year old, (and being a $300-400 card?) I would contact
ATI and ask them about this...

IF you can get the fan off, I would look for any and all markings.
Count the number of wires and if more than two, it likely has
a sensor chip...
The model number of these types of fans generally is the size and
specs.
Example: my MB Northbridge (sleeve bearing) chipset fans are marked:
ec4010m12s, or a4010m12s. (These are 40x10mm fans.)

I replace them with:  ec4010m12ca (ball bearing)...
Getting a "better fan" is always the "best fix"...

That said, I have never found a fan I could not oil...
(This could be "that type" though, VMMV...)
(How lucky do you feel.?..) <grin>
This is the "cheap and easy" version, if it goes well...

Disclaimer:  I have NEVER had to oil a ball bearing fan...
SO, this only applies to sleeve bearing fans, and that is likely
what you have. Either that or VERY bad luck with a ball
bearing fan...

Disclaimer: this only works well if the fan is ONLY sluggish
(AS IN: oil "dried up" or stiff) and the fan is NOT making ANY
type of noise, etc... After the bearings get scored, (or start to
burn out), it is way too late for this to work well, (or for too long.)
It "can't hurt" in a pinch (more later), or if there is NO other choice...

Here is what I do, with as much detail as I can think of...

The fan MUST install with screws, (AS IN:  It must be easily
removed with no damage to it, or the mounting...)

If you can't get the fan off, stop now... (I saw your "card" on the
Internet...)

There are two sides to a fan. One side has the bars (supports)
that hold it in shape.  This is the side where the bearings are.
There is generally a sticker with model numbers and manufacturer
name, etc. on this side... This sticker is on the center of the side
that does not move... (NOT on the fan blade.)
Carefully peel off this sticker.
Be careful not to damage it.and keep the glue side clean, as you
need to put it back later to re-seal the bearing...)

This is where you get to choose how far to "go"...
The simple and quick "add a little oil" version, (add oil and spin the fan
by hand a couple minutes to work it in.)

OR the disassemble, clean
and re-oil version...  ("Add a little oil" is safer, but may not work as long...)
Use a good quality "light weight" oil but NOT Three-In-One oil. It tends
to get gummy, the exact condition you are trying to "correct"...
At this point, you should see a small plastic washer on the shaft of the fan.
Sometimes it is split, sometimes not...
You need to get in there with a jewlers screwdriver (or something)
and gently pry that washer off the end of the shaft...
Be careful now and later. These tend to go flying and are "almost impossible"
to find when that happens... <grin>

If it is a stiff hard washer, do not try too hard as it is hardened "too much"
from heat. And since it is PART OF the fan, you need it "unbroken" to put
the fan back together...  (I would stop and "add a little oil" at this point...)

IF the washer comes off easy,
Look for any thrust washers and/or spacer washers just under it.
(Keep them, marked with their location...)
Slide the entire fan blade assembly and shaft out of the fan assembly.
Check for washers stuck in oil on both ends of the bearing, or shaft...

Clean the shaft and bearing hole with a crushed "q-tip" or something.
Use OIL as the cleaning fluid...  "Soak" the bearing with oil, but not to
where it is running anywhere... (Just enough....)

Reverse the above to re-assemble...

I did all this with a PS fan in a 486DX4-100 years ago, (after the
PS fan "failed" for the second time, and it ran "forever". (Still does
if I turn on that machine...)

Disclaimer: While this has ALWAYS worked for me, I can't see
your exact conditions, or know your level of comfort (or expertise)
with an operation of this type...  So all I can say is "good luck"...
(New fans are always better...)

                                              Rick Glazier

From: "Michael Eisenstadt"
Subject: 3d party fan for ATI 9700 Pro video card question
> The original fan on this video card, after 1 year's use,
> just started not working unless encouraged for awhile
> by my index finger when I turn on the computer.
>
> There are a number of 3d party fan replacements for this
> model. I would appreciate any specific model you might
> be in a position to recommend for when the fan dies or
> I get tired of hand-starting it.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml